[fprint] Adding support for unsupported TouchStrip device.

Juan Jesús García de Soria Lucena skandalfo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:55:04 GMT 2009

Hi everybody.

I've purchased a new laptop recently. It's an Acer Aspire 6530G with
an integrated UPEK TouchStrip sensor that seems to be unsupported by
libfprint (USB Id 147e:1000).

I'd like to help adding support for this device. I've already written
a LIRC driver for the IR receiver integrated in that laptop, so I
think I'm technically capable to write a libfprint driver too, but I'd
like to have a little bit of help to begin with it.

I can get USB captures from the device in Windows Vista. Who should I
send them to, in order to identify which kind of device it is (imaging
device only, I'd bet), and which is the best existing driver to use as
a starting point?

I attach the lsusb -v of the device at the end of the message.

Best regards,

   Juan Jesus.

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 147e:1000
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x147e
  idProduct          0x1000
  bcdDevice            0.33
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval              10

--
Dream small if success is enough for you; dream big if you need to
change the world.