[fprint] UPEK TouchStrip device variant ID 147e:2016

Daniel Drake dan at reactivated.net
Mon Nov 26 14:17:57 GMT 2007

Typhoe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got no success using the binary from Upek.
>
> So I installed a Windows XP (And that was a real pain in the ass..., so
> the delay to reply to you :( ).
>
> I used UsbTrace (from sysNucleus) to trace the exchange using the
> FingerReader.

That data format is quite inconvenient to work from. Any chance you can
do the same using this one instead:
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm

Please capture two sessions, and try and make each session quite short -
i.e. only scan your finger once. Also try and insert a 3-5 second gap
between each point: e.g. start logging, wait 3 secs, open the scanning
app, wait 3 secs, scan finger, wait 3 secs, etc.

Also, it may not be practical to write a driver based on the windows
one. The windows driver for my UPEK device scrambles the data (I can't
tell if yours does without seeing a second session).

It is unlikely that the UPEK linux driver does scrambling for your
device -- at least it does not do it for the currently supported
devices. It would be worthwhile putting more effort into getting that
working. If you get stuck, ask on the mailing list, maybe someone can help.

Thanks,
Daniel