[fprint] AES 1610 support

Daniel Drake dan at reactivated.net
Mon Nov 19 15:09:26 GMT 2007

wxCover wrote:
> Well... I did it but I'm not sure it worked. I haven't received any
> confirmation or whatever. Should I retry?

I just force-subscribed you. Let me know if there are any further
problems sending or receiving the list mail.

> Well, I've spoke too soon in my last mail! I hadn't tried to enroll and
> verify. The images I get looks nice BUT for the moment, I have problems
> with enrollment and verification.
> I think the main problem is that I'm not getting enough minutiae.
> Usually, for a fingerprint that looks really nice, I get something like
> 10~15 minutiae. And if the image is not perfect (very often), the number
> is less than 10.

OK.

> Now, speaking about verification, I haven't manage to get it to match.
> The scores are always low. I think this is due to the poor number of
> minutiae.
> I don't know how to improve the situation. Is there some tweaking we can
> do with the algorithm which calculate minutiaes ?

How low are the scores? Is there still a noticeable difference between
scores of matching and non-matching finger scans?

The default match score is 40, but the resultant score is dependant on
the number of detected minutiae, so for small minutiae counts it is hard
to reach such values.

The driver can lower the match score threshold via the bz3_threshold
attribute (e.g. aes4000 does this).

You may also want to try enlarging the image with the enlarge_factor
attribute. Again, aes4000 does this as the binarization results were
horrible otherwise...

The latest fprint_demo and libfprint from git will undoubtedly help you
get a better understanding of the problems here. You can view the
scanned image, the binarized image, and you can plot the detected
minutiae on both.

Thanks,
Daniel