[fprint] Why can I install fprint and fprint_demo

cyrus-tc@web.de cyrus-tc at web.de
Sun Nov 18 13:14:53 GMT 2007

> > I try to install the fprint drivers for my aes2501 fingerprint reader
> > on my notebook but I have any questions.
>
> Which notebook?

It's a HP Compaq nx6325

> > I downloaded the libfprint, extract it and go inside. Now I found no
> > configuration help and try the norm-steps (configure, make and make
> > install). Then I downloaded the fprint_demo, extract it and make the
> > same with it. Now I running on console the command "fprint_demo" but
> > I get error the libfprint.so.0 is not found. Can you help me? My
> > system is openSUSE 10.3.
>
> I'm guessing here, I'm not a suse user, but try:
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib fprint_demo

Right. It's here but don't work correctly. I can't no scanning my finger(s).

> You can also use the libfprint example programs without even installing
> libfprint onto your system.  Some instructions here:
> http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Libfprint_v0.0.1
>
> You actually *have* to use the "enroll" example program before you can
> use fprint_demo, there is no other easy way to enroll a finger at the
> moment. (fprint_demo will be extended to have it's own enroll interface
> in the next version)

Okay the example programs can scan my fingers. Thats great!

> > It is possible to logon (KDE) with this drivers and the pam_fprint?
>
> Yes, pam_fprint has been reported to work with KDM, but apparently you
> have to press enter a couple of times for no apparent reason, or
> something like that.

What do you mean? Will the fingerprint be scanned after the installation and restart in the logon procedure (KDM login) just like with the ThinkFinger drivers (ThinkPad) or is there need to put in the fingerprint during the installation already?

> For the Lenovo 3000 N100 and my own standalone device, this reader works
> very well. However we have a bug report from someone with a different
> laptop that the image quality is too poor to be useful:
> http://www.reactivated.net/fprint/bugs/task/2

OK. On my notebook the quality of the scans appear to be very good.